Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Welcome to Honeybee Hills!

Welcome to Honeybee Hills! 

If you've followed me over from www.eightmortons.blogspot.com, thank you! If you're new to my blog, then bless your heart, you're going to need plenty of patience with me. I do real good to put words together in a sentence, just not always coherently, but if you can bear with me, you might get a laugh or two now and then at my expense. I do have a pet peeve about misspelled words, so if you catch one, be sure and grab your red pen and smack me with it. If you find a misspelled word on my page, leave me a comment and I'll send you a prize. I am that finicky about it. Seriously, I will, if you don't mind giving your address out to a random stranger on the internet. What could possibly come out bad from that, right?

Ok, so who am I and why should you care what I write about? Good question! I won't bore you with a long drawn out life story. Ten words or less: wife, mother, Christian, adoption advocate, Girl Scout leader. ohh, only eight, I am GOOD. To read more about the adoption side, go to my other blog listed at the beginning. And if you are an adoptive parent or want to be, give yourself a great big bear hug from me, because I love you for doing it!

So, this blog will be about my trial and misadventures raising honeybees and hens. New Hampshire Reds, to be precise. We've had chickens before, and I have missed them! This is our first time with honeybees though, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it! I kind of don't like getting stung, and to bring tens of thousands of honeybees onto my property, on purpose, sounds a little dumb. But that's what husbands are for, right?

On the chicken side of the fence, we have ordered 25 hen chicks and 4 roosters from McMurray Hatchery. Here's a video, aren't they adorable??


These little puffballs should be arriving at the post office just before Easter. Yes, the post office. I never knew until a few years ago that you can mail live animals. Just slap a stamp on their butts and send them off. No, not really, don't do that. I'm sure PETA and the USPS would frown on that. But they do come in the mail. The last set that came was a few years ago, and I went by the post office, picked them, and took them back to work with me. As cute as they sound, you really don't want to hear it in a small office for six hours straight. Trust me. I bet you didn't even watch the full video because it was too annoying, right? And that was only 1:32. I'm not judging, I turned it off after about 30 seconds too.

So anyway, my hubby, Pa, is finishing up the coop and the hawk/coyote/fox proof run, at least we hope it will be! I'll post some pics when it's up.

Back to the bees. How on earth did we get into the whole bee thing? Pa decided he wanted to try keeping bees, and my dad, who is sweeter than any honey on the planet, found out and gave us his hive. He hasn't fooled with them much lately, and decided to just turn it over to us. I'll tell more about our first robbing experience in another post, but we've ordered two more hives. Well, one full complete hive and one nuck, or nook, or something like that. Hey, I'm learning right along with you, so be patient!

I guess that's it to start off with, maybe the time you're reading this, I'll have pretty-fied the blog up a little bit. Or maybe not. No promises.

More coming soon. In the meantime, don't put all your eggs in one basket, and stay sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment